Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My in-laws have a last name... its N-O-L-A-N-D...






(get the title? Oscar Meyer Weiner song? ok.. maybe you dont get it.. anyway)..

First and foremost, let me say that I am proud of my Rick. Yesterday was his "first" real day of being a coach on the Delta State University Baseball program. Now, if you follow my blog then you know that I am a proud, proud Fiance' but this day is special to me because it begins a new chapter for Rickey. He has played baseball his entire life, knelt for hours behind that home plate and was the captain of the field. This change, although different, is still good. Rickey is blessed to be able to coach at such a prestigious baseball program under a coach that is undeniably one of the best coaches in the country. Although Rickey's going to be standing in a different place on the field, he is still on that green green grass and I am happy. You have to understand this game and this lifestyle. It is different from anything else. It's a career full of heartbreak. Not every game is won, not every player will make it to the pros, not every coach will stay at the same school his entire career. There are many ups and downs. There are many nights that he will be gone and on the road, playing games and chasing balls, recruiting players to come play for "the best" and losing players to other schools that claim
they are the best. It's a losers game, they say, but its the best game I've ever seen. Its something that we LOVE. It's engrained in our relationship and it runs through Rickey's veins. I am so glad that he (and I) are taking on this new challenge and chapter in our lives. All those nights that Rick's away and it's just me and Abner are fine with me, as long as my Rick is happy. To make a long story short, Rickey's first day went good. My "catch" has turned into my "coach" and I am so very elated and joyful. Oh how I love that Rick. God is good.

Rickey and I went to Louisiana this weekend to take our "announcement engagement pictures" and we had a BLAST. It was so fun and I think that we smiled and laughed more than we took any of our "sexy" pictures. We drove home pretty late and once Abner finally went to sleep (on a pillow to be exact. Yes he is SPOILED out of his MIND) I had a lot of time to think.. So I am going to blog about those thoughts... Each one of them.. My Future In-Laws.. The Noland Family..

Let me start out with the one who honestly had my heart from the get go... Ryan.. Ryan is Rickey's oldest brother and my "herb" (as I like to call him) is just so wonderful.. Herb is brilliant, far more brilliant than he will give himself credit, and has lived this life that seems to be like a fairytale to me. Now, Herb will be the first to tell you that he's made some mistakes in his life, but he's SERIOUSLY amazing. He is one of the most laid back people I have ever met, and he would go to NO END to take care of the people he cares about. Herb will make the most fantastic husband one day. Whoever marries him will definately have to sit down and take a test for me or something, because I am going to be very particular. He reminds me a lot of my middle sister, Brittany. Both are somewhat reserved but when they have fun, they have fun. Herb ALWAYS makes me laugh and he loves my dog (maybe more than I do sometimes). Herb is VERY VERY VERY special to me and i love that boy so much. He's the "future uncle" that my kids will be excited to sit and listen to his stories of when "he was thier age".. Herb rocks..

Next is Stephen... OHHHHH i LOVE STEPHEN NOLAND. Steve, as I like to call him, was the first out of the Noland family that I ever got to meet. When I was in Johnson City visiting Rickey, he and I spoke on the phone for a long time. He told Rickey that I was a "keeper", and we have been so very close from that moment on out. Stephen is hilarious. He knows how to ALWAYS make me smile and laugh, and is a blast. Steve is always there for me when I have questions about life in general and we see eye to eye on so many different things. I know that if I ever had a problem and I couldnt get in touch with Rickey, I could call stephen (And herb) and he would be there for me in a second. I have never had brothers, so this is just awesome to me. It never fails, when we get ready to leave LA, steve always tells me that he Loves me and gives me a hug. That is so very mutual. Steve is also brilliant and is so personable its insane. Steve can make friends with a tree if he had to. He will meet someone that knocks him off his feet and I cant wait for the day that he calls me and says "Lacey, I found the one".. I will REJOICE for my steve because he is so deserving of such happiness.

Next is my future Mother in Law, Mrs. Dana... Now, I honestly feel for the girls who sit and say "I cannot stand my Mother in Law" because I will NEVER.. EVER... EVER be in that situation. We are talking about a women who is just the entire package wrapped into one. Mrs. Dana is one of the most creative people I have ever met. Some of the projects that she has taken on and completed with such array and excellence are just downright awesome. From a woman's standpoint, Mrs. Dana is the ultimate mom. She's the mom that will be in the kitchen at 1am when her boys are back at home during christmas vacation to make them cookies because they "were craving them". She's the mom that will rush around all day and do errands for everyone else, then take care of herself last. Her time with three boys hasnt always been easy, but shes not the one that wants to take the "easy" route. She's HILARIOUS. Honestly, she cracks me up more than anyone I know. She teaches me to cook, even though she knows that im terrible at it, and she refers to me as her "future daughter". Coming from a family situation that has been kinda "strange" at times with my parents, hearing her say that is....well... Perfect. We share a passion for "the littles" as I like to call them and I cannot wait for the day when Rickey and I have been married for some time and finally have grandchildren for her to love and hug. These Noland boys are very lucky, to have a mom that is one of the most giving and awesome people that I know. I've been lucky enough to have spent a year and two months with Mrs. Dana and I am lucky to be able to say that she is my "future mother in law".. Thats pretty dang lucky.. If you haven't had a chance to meet her, well, you need to make that a top priority.

Last but not least is my big Rick...... there is SO MUCH that I can say about my big rick.. I think big Rick and I have a lot more in common than we both realize at times. Like I said, my family situation has been "strange" at times so Big Rick and I both appreciate the family circle that we all have created. Big Rick is one of the hardest workers I have ever met. This is a man who will stop at nothing to provide every need that his family has ever wanted or desired. Its so nice to sit down and have a heart to heart or an in depth conversation with him because no matter what the topic is, Big Rick understands and will listen to whatever you have to say. He is very compassionate. And trustworthy. No matter what, you can always bet that Big Rick will be behind you and supporting you, any decision that you make because he's just that kind of man. The thing about Big Rick, though, is that he's honestly humble to his wonderful-ness.. He's been the most outstanding father to three wonderful boys and I bet Mrs. Dana would put a million dollars on the fact that hes been the ultimate provider and husband in a wonderful marriage. When I first met Rickey, we talked about who his hero was over breakfast. I immediately knew that I would love Big Rick when MY Rickey said his father was his hero.... and his best friend. I cannot describe my happiness to have big rick as my future father in law. We also share a passion for baseball that is pretty dang awesome. You can't beat that, now.

and then there is MY Fiance'..... he's pretty close to my heart, as you can tell.. Rick, honestly, had me at hello (clinche i know, but true). One of my favorite memories with Rickey was the first time that we had a one-on-one date in Johnson City, TN. I drove ten hours to meet Rick and hang out, watch him play, etc. I made it to TN at 6 am and Rickey met me at my hotel with the biggest smile on his face.. We were both nervous, you could tell, but he I could tell that he was trying to be so strong because he wanted me to feel more comfortable.. he wanted for me to have a PERFECT trip. And that first real "date" has carried over into our entire relationship. He will stop at NOTHING to make sure that my days are perfect. He would go over the moon to make sure that I am happy and that all my needs are met. He smiles, still, and my heart M-E-L-T-S.. He's a very strong person, and at the same time he's sensitive enough to let me know when he NEEDS ME. He's the best little mix that I could ever ask for. Everytime i drive in my car, I practice my vows and what I want to say to Rickey in front of God, and our families, and our very best friends on the day of our wedding. That moment might be one of the most special moments in my life. In 329 days I will, basically, profess my love to Rick, something that will actually be so easy for me to do because of the way that Rick makes me feel. True happiness. Rick has his flaws as we all do, but his flaws are what I love. He farts like every man, and sometimes hes a total ass when he wakes up. But he's my heart. I never wanted Rickey to be perfect, but i Love his imperfections, I love his everything.. Im pretty smitten..

So after reading this, I know you're jealous that your in-law family might not be as cool as mine... It's ok, they are so awesome they would adopt you if you asked..... :)

Avec tout mon coer.
Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment