Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Blind Side...

I was getting ready for work this morning and catching up on my daily Celebrity Gossip through E! Entertainment television and I literally was stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the preview for the new Sandra Bullock film titled "BlindSide".. This movie means ALOT to me because of the story behind it... Let me elaborate..

Although I am marrying an LSU fan and being swayed into supporting LSU through watching ballgames, etc, I am still an Ole Miss (Hotty Toddy!) fan at heart and will always be. Last year I was amazed at the story of Michael Oher, an offensive tackle for Ole Miss. Oher was a standout player for the University and although I do not know him personally, many of my friends do and can attest that he is one of the nicest and most wonderful people that you will ever meet. Oher's story goes so much deeper than that though. Growing up in the Memphis, TN area, Oher's father was murdered and his mother was addicted to drugs. He had very little attention as a child and attended eleven different schools through the first nine years as a student. Oher was found, at the time homeless, by Sean and Leigh Ann Tuohy, who literally adopted him off the street, provided a home for him, helped him gain confidence and attendance at Briarcrest Christian School in Memphis, TN, attended sporting events for him and became his "mother and father". Oher only played one year of football before attending Briarcrest Christian school his junior year (totally three years of playtime in his high school years) and was an extremely high talent for scouts. Oher was ranked as the #1 Offensive Line prospect in 2004 and sports analyst, Tom Lemming, said "Michael Oher’s athletic ability and his body — the only thing you could compare it to was Orlando Pace". Oher, upon graduation, was offered scholarships nationally, with highest regards from LSU, Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, and North Carolina State. Oher chose to attend The University of Mississippi and was drafted to the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the NFL draft in 2009.

That being said... A book was written about Oher's life by Michael Lewis in 2006 titled, "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game". I was so excited when I saw the movie trailor come out about this story. I literally cried the entire time that i watched the film trailor because my heart has always gone out to Oher and I have always thought he was so awesome to have overcome the adversity in his life. The family who adopted Oher are also amazing and I think so many times how they loved someone who had been overlooked for SO LONG, and literally changed his life.... What an impact they have made... Amazing.

Check out the Blind Side trailor here...



p.s..... OHER SIGNED WITH THE BALTIMORE RAVENS in 2009 for 13 Million dollars..... God is Good. :)

1 comment: