Friday, May 7, 2010

50 days and counting... SCARY


Im posting this at 5:18 in the morning... Gosh, where has my sleep gone.... :( Working nights and planning this wedding while trying to get everything together to POSSIBLY move in the near future has switched my nights and days up so terribly.. and there are also a slew of baseball players over here that are studying for finals with Rickey- so while im writing this, I am listening to a "wager game/study session" that is being held in my kitchen using flashcards and history questions.. So far, Cody Kelly seems to be in the lead in getting questions right and wagering points.. Rickey is a very good teacher so I hope they all do good. Poor things are all having to take thier finals late because of the GSC baseball tournament that was held this week here in cleveland.. Anywho.. Enough about that...


First on the blog agenda.. I cant believe we are down to FIFTY DAYS... 50 days... 5-0... It really seems like just yesterday, we were just getting engaged.. and In a few sum odd days, we will be saying I DO and this wedding will be a sweet sweet memory of planning, some stress, and lots of boxes taking up my living room. I am ready for it to be here. I am excited to say my vows, which Rickey and I will write ourselves and also say traditional vows. Rickey is very nervous about this and I have even given him the clearance to say NO but he's dead set on writing his own vows to say. This stems back to the first time that we ever had a conversation with each other on the phone.... When Rick was playing baseball in Johnson City, all we had was the phone to get to know each other. We would play the famous "question game" in getting to know each other- he would ask one, I answer.. I would then ask one, he would answer.. These questions would stem from the senseless ("If you could dress up as any MLB mascot and dance on the field, who would you choose to be and why?") to the need-to-know ("What is the kind of girl you'd like to marry?").. The latter question was posed to Rickey as the SECOND question in our phone conversation span, and he answered with a long description of this and that, this and that.. And then he paused and said "My only condition for my future wife, is that she and I write and recite our own vows to each other at our wedding"... Now, this caught me off guard at the time because it was definately something that I have always wanted to do and girls, who plan weddings forever and ever since we are little, think about these things.. But guys? I mean, who does that and especially SAYS that? It was perfect... So in that conversation, we mutually agreed that was something that we LOVED and something we would both agree to do in our OWN weddings- never imaging we'd get to share that together in our wedding to each other... :)


And so it is... He still wants to do it.. Although I've given him chances to back out he still wants to do it.. He calls it "manning up".. I like to think of it as keeping a promise he didnt even know he was making to me on day one.. I havent sat down and written mine yet where as Rick has, but I say them, certain words and phrases that I know I will say, in the car when Im alone and get emotional EACH and EVERY time.. I know they wont be too long- 5 to 6 lines at the most for each of us- but some of the most dear words I could ever recite off my heart. I definately want to take traditional vows as well.. Those traditional vows are precious words, the words that a preacher speaks on behalf of his ministry from The Lord, are timeless. Words that couples and generations of our families have spoken for years and years and years and YEARS. Words that have carried such a meaning- there is not much else that is comparable. I definately want to say the same words that have been recited throughout the course of time.. with the addition of my very own words to Rickey.. It promises to be an emotional ceremony and there probably wont be a dry eye in the room.. So bring a hanky :)
While its on my mind- say a prayer for my wedding photographer Debbie Medlock.. Her family has experianced a great loss and her husband has been ill.. Keep her and them in your prayers.. They are a special group of people and Debbie and Mike are two of the sweetest people you would ever meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment