Monday, October 19, 2009

Put me in Coach!!

My blogs seem to be few and far between here lately and I apologize for that! I know my dear readers miss me while I am gone ;)... Anywho! I am once again back and tonight (or should I say this morning since its 1am) I am spending the night at my mom's house and blogging from my blackberry.. Rickey and I had one of the most wonderful weekends that we have had in a long time at the Delta State University baseball alumni reunion. Although Rick is coaching here now, he still got to participate in all the alumni functions of the weekend and we had a blast. Friday night some of his friends and older team mates came into town and we all got to go to dinner to have my favorite pizza at The Lost Dog in cleveland.. Naturally, I was the only girl in the bunch (as I usually am) but it didn't bother me because I can hang with the baseball conversations of "who throws the best sidearm circle changeup" and what not.. After we all left dinner, we headed to our friend Brancy's house to hang out and just visit with all the guys. It was so good to see Rickey with these boys again! Granted, some of these guys we see on a very regular basis and are considered our "cleveland family", but when the ENTIRE group gets together its always a good time.. We left Brancy's around one and headed home. Rickey, Brett Durand (rickey's groomsman and one of his best friends from Denham Springs) and I sat and talked about everything in the world for hours and It was soo great to see Durand. We never get a chance to spend time with him since he plays Professional baseball and his time is always limited.. I was amazed to learn that rickey has caught Brett's pitching for over ELEVEN years before he left to play baseball at the professional level, and even then Rickey caught him during spring training while they were with seperate teams (the Marlins and the Cardinals). This made me sooo excited for sat... The next morning we woke up bright and early for the alumni golf tournament and rickey left to go work on the baseball field.. I am proud to say that my dear critter's team won second place and he and durand were excited! Around lunch we headed to the coliseum for the DSU Baseball Alumni Luncheon. This was sooooo much fun! Rickey was recognized with the other coaches as we got started and we got to mingle around with the other 300 sum-odd former players, coaches, wives, and families. We had a delightful lunch and I got to reunite with my friend Brett Leach, who currently plays for the LA Dodgers. I have been friends with his wife for years and years and it was so nice to chat with him about "the big leagues". Coach Mike Kinnison gave a wonderful and emotional presentation about how much he cared for each and every alumni, coach, and player and how each "one of us had a story, and a tale of how we got to where we are and who we are to become". It was very memorable for rickey and myself. We looked at each other so mant times while Coach Kinnison was talking and we just seemed to "know" that the other was thinking of all the sacrifice and hard times we have faced to get to where we are now. It was a beautiful moment. We also got to hear stories from former players of the legendary Dave "Boo" Ferris. This was AMAZING! The stories that were shared made us laugh and cry, and Boo's speech was motivating and wonderful. He is such an amazing person. I loved that at the end of his speech he thanked his wife, and was soooo grateful for her undefeating support for him over the many, many years of his playing and coaching career in the baseball world. I look forward to this current season because I am going to sit and chat with her during games to get advice on being a coach's wife. ;)... They called the luncheon to a close and told all the players and former players to meet at the baseball field for the alumni baseball game. Rickey was JACKED for this, needless to say, and so was I! The last time I got to see rickey play was in Johnson City, TN and I was moreee than ready to watch him on this day! They introduced all the players, old and new, and took pictures before the games. First, the men who played from the 1950's to the 1990's played in the "oldtimers" game. They looked awesome in throwback jerseys and some still seemed like they had it! We cheered and cheered for them and it was so awesome to see them reliving their days on the baseball diamond. Next, we got to watch the "young guns" play (former players from the 1990's to 2008) and they were showing out! Rickey got two great hits and threw out two players! I was sooo happy! I even leaned over and told my friend sarah "this was one of the happiest days of my life!".. It was sooooooooooo awesome to see rickey catch in that red cardinals gear that was sooo sooo familiar and step up to the bat in those green and white uniforms.. I definately fell in love with him all over again. After the boys played, we enjoyed ourselved to a BBQ cookout at the field and ate with the players, friends, alumni, and families. It was a lot of fun. I watched rickey smile and laugh and he was so happy, and I took a minute to say my prayer that day, thanking the Good Lord for rickeys beautiful talent in baseball and the blessings that He gives us to share.. I watched durand pitch during the games, and critter sitting there on third with his "golden glove".. I glanced over and saw clay sartain rounding second and rickey was there behind home plate and it just felt.... Right.. These boys and this place is special to me, and its very special to us... I couldn't ask for a better group to be a part of and I am full of this bountiful blessing called friendship the Lord has blessed me with.. All in all the weekend was wonderful! I will post pictures as soon as I get to a laptop! Hope that everyone had a great weekend as well!

Avec tout mon couer,
Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment