Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Life lessons to learn sooner.. or later


Since my birthday is Saturday, I am going wedding dress shopping with Candice (my oldest sister), Mrs. Chris (her mother in law), and Mrs. Dana (MY future mother in law). I am really excited and even a little nervous. Candice and I were chatting in our usual thirty-minute-post-work-travel time and she said that "there is just something when you put on that first wedding dress and you get this kinda, WWWHHHHEEEWWWW feeling! Like, 'This is REALLY happening to me' kinda moment". I cannot wait to see what we find and which ones I get to try on. I know that Mrs. Dana and Mrs. Chris are excited since they both have all sons and LOVE all the girly things that come with the wedding planning. I went with Candice and Mrs. Chris when she got her wedding dress and it was very special, so I am excited that all these wonderful ladies will get to spend this special day (AND MY BIRTHDAY) with me just shopping, lunching, and having fun little spa time! Woo Hoo! That being said, my mom isn't going to be able to go with me Saturday because she will be out of town so we went to my pre-birthday lunch together today. Mom has been INCREDIBLE when it has come to planning the wedding and I appreciate her more than she knows. She gave me a great new shirt that I loved and also a book, with a big smile on her face. I looked at the cover of "101 Most Important Things You Need to Know Before You Get Married" and scoffed almost, thinking "Mom got me this book that will be full of funny wedding stuff and jokes"... Once I got home, I pulled it out of my purse and started flipping through the pages, and the quotes and mementos in it are so great. Some are special and apply to Rickey and myself now. Some are funny and are true for life in the future. Many are motivational and all are perfect for a "soon to be bride" like me to read and just absorb. So tonight's blog I will share with you some of the great pages of this book she's shared with me. Feel free to comment with any additional "words of wisdom" for newleyweds and couples. Avec tout mon couer..... Lacey

  • The secret to a happy marriage is.... No secrets.

  • I didnt marry you because you were perfect. I didnt even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. That promise made up for your faults. And the promise I gave you made up for mine...And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that protected them; and it wasnt our love that protected them- it was that promise." - Thornton Wilder

  • Marry someone who lifts you up, not casts you down; who encourages, not discourages. Marry for brains, not looks; marry for love, not lust.

  • "Marriage is not a noun; it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. It's the way you love your partner every day." -Barbara De Angelis

  • Start each day on a clean slate.

  • "If i have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." -1 Corinthians 13:2

  • Opposites may attract but it's the similarities you share that will hold you together in the long run. Find and hold on to things you enjoy doing together.

  • Always stand together through the trials and joys of life; two are always better than one.

  • "Don't smother each other. No one can grow in the shade." -Leo Buscaglia

  • When the baby's crying and the bills are due, still speak kindly to each other.

  • "The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining." - John Kennedy

  • Make sure your foundation is strong and the Lord is the head of your house. If God's not in it, it's not worth being in.

  • Make sure that you are the kind of husband or wife that you would want your child to marry. (Mom turned down the page on this one, for me to always remember)

  • Focus on the good and thats what you'll get. Good things come in all size packages. The secret is to open them all expecting good.

  • Teamwork works in marriages just as it does in football. Get a game plan and stick to it. Everyone's not the quarterback. It takes all team members working together for success.

  • Your spouse will not be a mind reader. If you want your needs met, then you have to tell him what they are.

  • "Be assured, if you walk with Him and look to Him, and expect help from Him, He will never fail you." -George Mueller

  • If your outgo exceeds your income, then your upkeep will be your downfall.

  • Make sure you have an understanding about the "Big 3's" before you walk down the aisle - Money, Children and Religion.

  • No matter how busy you get, save at least two nights a month for date nights, especially after the babies start arriving.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday a little early, hope you have a ton of fun dress shopping! Give a big hug to Mrs. Dana for me. Your sister is right, that first dress is...WOW...then its just waiting for "the one"! And, you will know just like you did with the boy!

    I love all your quotes..I love stuff like that. My advice comes from something my Dad told me...Marriage is not a game or a competition so don't keep score!

    My mom always tells me to "listen with my heart and not with my head!" I secretly think this is her kind way of telling me to stop talking! ;) LOL!

    Marriage is fun, but it is work, the best thing I did was marry a hard worker...sometimes he just needs a little help knowing what work needs done!! ;)

    ReplyDelete